In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Androscoggin Historical Society

Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes, Lewiston

Contributed by Androscoggin Historical Society
MMN Item 6560 Item Details
Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes, Lewiston
MMN Item 6560 Zoom

Description

Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes business in Lewiston. The corner of the building has two street signs, Lowell Street and Bates Street.

Back of photo has writing "Papa's store in Bates & 218 Main Street, Lewiston, Maine. Still a shoe store in 1967. William A. Bailey, Shoe Store about 1895. Also in the same building was Lee Wah Laundry."

From 1894 to the mid-1960s this building was occupied by the Prince Shoe Store, 30 Bates Street, Lewiston. According to Maine Magazine in 1907, p. 76, C. L. Prince maintained low overhead costs and "deals in sample and job lots and slightly damaged shoes, which are invariably most excellent value for the money."

This appears to be one of the oldest commercial buildings in Lewiston.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.